RCDDS Case Management

In Missouri, most services for people who have developmental disabilities are funded by MO HealthNet (Medicaid) and sometimes by state and/or county resources.

A case manager is the entry point for developmental disability services. A case manager helps gather the documentation needed to prove that a person is eligible to receive developmental disability services. Then they help the individual and/or the family of an individual who has a developmental disability to create a plan for the future. This plan helps set goals for what the person wants out of life. The case manager helps the person to decide what help, if any, is needed to reach those goals. When the only alternative is a paid service or support, the case manager authorizes the federal, state, or county funds necessary to provide that support. The case manager then oversees that the service is being provided as authorized and that the service is having a positive impact on the person’s life and is helping them to meet their goals.

Many counties have local case management programs. In Randolph County, we are very proud to have local case management. We provide case management to all eligible people in Randolph County, Chariton County and Carroll County. We also provide a limited amount of case management in Boone County and Nodaway County.

Case managers help link individuals, and families, to needed resources and services so that individuals can be successful in their own homes and communities. RCDDS case managers are very accessible, and conveniently located, in the counties in which they are assigned.

Frequently Asked Questions

What qualifies a person for Case Management Services?

Case management serves all ages- from birth to elderly adults, provided the developmental disability occurred prior to the age of 22.
A person is eligible for case management services if they meet the following criteria as set forth in state statute:

  1. A developmental disability which could include an intellectual disability, cerebral palsy, epilepsy, head injury, autism, a learning disability related to a brain dysfunction, or any other mental or physical impairment which occurs before the age 22.
  2. The disability is likely to continue indefinitely and
  3. The disability results in a substantial functional limitation in two or more of the following six areas of major life activities: self-care, receptive and expressive language development and use, learning, self-direction, capacity for independent living/economic self-sufficiency and mobility.

Eligibility is determined by the Department of Mental Health-Division of Developmental Disabilities’ Central MO Regional Office in Columbia, MO. Information received from schools and medical professionals, through the intake process, on the documented developmental disability is reviewed to determine eligibility.

What do Case Managers do?

Case management is the entry point for all services. If a person residing in our service area is determined eligible for case management, a case manager will be assigned from that local office.
Case managers meet with individuals and families, throughout the year, to address the support needs as outlined in an individual’s support plan. A support plan is created by the individual, with the help of the case manager and other interested parties, upon admission and a minimum of annually thereafter. Case managers assist individuals and their families by linking and coordinating services to meet a person’s needs. Case managers advocate alongside the individual, or family, to ensure they have the supports they need to be successful in all areas of their life. Case managers also explore and/or authorize funding for needed services, and monitor any services to ensure a quality service is being provided.

How to refer someone for Case Management Services?

For our case management services, a person must first be determined eligible by the Department of Mental Health. The intake process begins with a phone call. You will need to call the Central MO Regional Office at 573-441-6278 and talk with an intake person. We can help you with this step if needed just call our office at 660-269-8875